Bechamel – or white sauce- is one of these recipes that will occur really often in the Italian cuisine (should I mention lasagne or cannelloni? My easy way to make my vegan version needs only a few ingredients and few steps.
For my bechamel, I like to use oat – unsweetened – milk, but of course, can be replaced with soy milk or any other vegetable milk.
To reach the perfect consistency, the roux technique is the most important step!
-Roux is typically made from equal parts of flour and fat by weight The sauce was originally from renaissance Tuscany and was known as “Salsa Colla or Colletta” (“glue sauce”) because of the gluey consistency of the sauce,-
Roux is typically made from equal parts of flour and fat by weight
- 50gr margarine or vegan butter
- 50gr flour
- 500ml vegetable milk
- 1tsp nutmeg
- 1tsp and 1/2 salt
- Melt the margarine in a pan over medium heat
- Remove the pan from heat and add the flour. Combine with a spatula until you reach the “roux” consistency.
- Slowly add the Soy milk a little bit at a time to avoid lumps.
- Add the Salt, the Nutmeg and Pepper
- Simmer at medium heat for about 10 minutes until ticker