I like it, I cook it
H ere’s the antecedent! I was on vacation for a couple of weeks in Italy, every year I visit my family in Sicily and I will tell you about my visit there in another article!
During my absence, a dear friend of mine from Amsterdam was my guest in my small apartment here in Berlin and had the wonderful idea of making me find a beautiful gift on my return: beautiful blue ceramic plates from Motel a Miio.
This sweet present, then, is the reason for this new recipe because its shape, size, and colors are perfect for its realization. Poke Bowl is a Hawaiian recipe, poke means “slicing” because the main ingredient is raw diced tuna. In this vegan version, it is possible to replace tuna with a smoked version of tomato cubes and recover the protein content with the addition of edamame beans.
It is a beautiful dish to see because it is extremely colorful and joyful, but also very complete and easy to prepare because, except for rice, it does not require cooking. I used sushi rice because it gives the idea of eating a giant version of sushi roll, thanks to mayonnaise (here is the recipe for my vegan version) and seaweed. But no one will have anything against it if instead of sushi you use brown rice or even couscous and quinoa.
‘O lands! O all so dear to me—what you are (whatever it is), I become a part of that, whatever it is.’
Vegan Poke Bowl
- 5 fresh tomatoes (peeled cut into chunks)
- 1 cup sushi rice
- fresh coriander
- 1 avocado (sliced)
- 1 mango (cut into chunks)
- 1 cup seaweed salad
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup edamame beans
- vegan mayo
- soy sprouts
- sesame seeds and sesame oil
- (for the marinade) 1 tsp miso paste
- 1 Tbs soy sauce
- 1 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Vinegar
- 1 tsp Liquid Smoke
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- cover the tomatoes with hot water and let it rest for 5 minutes. It will help to easily peel them.
- Cook the rice
- mix the ingredients for the marinade and add the tomato chunks. Let it rest for at least 15 minutes.
- Put the cooked rice on the bottom of the plate and top with the rest of the ingredients