Pommes and ketchup get a new concept!
In Palermo we have a traditional street food called “panelle”: they are like thin, squared pancakes made of chickpea flour, deep fried that we eat on a bread. The ideal season for this food is summer: wrapped in brown paper sheet, you can get your “panino con le panelle” to take away to the beach. You can also add some croquettes to have the best from the life! The flavor is delicious, so I was thinking to re-create a similar recipe but lighter because baked and not fried.
To get the right consistency is really important to refrigerate for at least a couple of hours the dough: this process allows not only to give the shape like pommes fries but also, once baked, to get a crispy and golden texture. These chickpea sticks are perfect with some vegan mayo (you can follow my video recipe aquafaba mayo) or with this power food ketchup made with goji berries.
Once you learn how to do your own ketchup, it will be impossible to buy one again from the supermarket. This homemade version is rich of real flavors: olive oil, goji berries, tomatoes, and apple vinegar. It’s important to drain the water from the tomatoes can to have the creamy consistency, and you can store in your fridge for days and use it for your salads, wraps, buddha bowl etc.
Goji Ketchup & Chickpea Pommes
- 115gr chickpea flour
- 500ml water
- 1 grated garlic
- 1 tsp fennel & mustard seeds
- the zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 can tomatoes (for the ketchup)
- 20gr dried tomatoes (for the ketchup)
- 40gr goji berries (for the ketchup)
- 6 tsp agave syrup (for the ketchup)
- 1 tsp apple vinegar (for the ketchup)
- 2 tsp lemon juice (for the ketchup)
- 1 tsp paprika (for the ketchup)
- pepper (for the ketchup)
- Combine the chickpea flour with the resting ingredients until all the lumps are dissolved
- Cook the mixture on low heat for about 10 minutes
- Poor it in to a baking dish, spread it and refrigerate for at least 2 hours
- Meantime soak in hot water the dry tomatoes and the goji berries for about 10 minutes
- Remove the excess water of the tomatoes can and add all the other ingredients