I’ve already written about the asparagus a couple of weeks ago for my tart recipe. In that circumstance, I’ve happily declared that there were many ways to cook this vegetable, and this is so true that I’ve decided to shoot a new video: asparagus velvet sauce. We are not talking about soup, we are not in winter anymore: velvet sauce – in French Velouté sauce – has a creamy texture like the bechamel and certainly the procedure is not that different.
The core of the bechamel is the roux (made of butter and flour): in this recipe, we are going to use some potatoes because their starch is just what we need to have the right smooth consistency. To make this sauce refreshing I’ve added some fresh lemongrass, ginger, and mint, but it’s totally optional.
Facts: contains asparagine, a natural diuretic, full of antioxidants and vitamin e.
Asparagus Velvet Sauce
- 400gr Asparagus
- 2 onions
- 200gr potatoes
- 1 lemongrass
- a piece of fresh ginger
- 400ml vegetable broth
- fresh mint
- cut the tips of the asparagus and put them in hot water with 1 teaspoon salt
- on a pan over medium heat add 1 tablespoon olive oil
- add the onions and stir-fry until tender and gold
- add the potatoes and asparagus (cut in chunks)
- cover with the vegetable broth, salt, and pepper and let it cook for about 20 minutes
- mix with a blender, add the ginger
- serve with walnuts, fresh mint, and lemongrass.